Cosmetic dentistry in Eau Claire WI are professional oral treatments with an emphasis on improving the appearance of your mouth, teeth and smile. And while cosmetic dentistry procedures are typically elective rather than essential, some types of treatment also provide restorative benefits.
The most common procedures used in cosmetic dentistry in Eau Claire WI are fairly simple, whereas others are more complex and require specialized care. Today we’re discussing your options.
1. Inlays and Onlays: Also referred to as indirect fillings, they are created in a dental laboratory from composite resin material, and are used when a tooth has mild to moderate decay or there is not enough tooth structure to support a filling. If there is no damage to the tooth cusps, the inlay is placed directly onto the surface of the tooth. However, when the cusp or a larger portion of the tooth is damaged, an onlay is used to cover the tooth’s entire surface.
Both inlays and onlays are attached to the teeth using adhesive dental cement. They provide support to strengthen teeth, restore their shape and avoid any further deterioration.
2. Composite Bonding: Composite bonding refers to the repair of decayed, damaged or discolored teeth using material that is similar to the color of tooth enamel. The tooth decay is drilled out and the bonding is applied onto the tooth’s surface. It is then sculpted into the correct shape before preserving it with a high-intensity light.
Also referred to as simply bonding, this treatment effectively covers the damage to the tooth and gives the appearance of a healthy tooth in its place. It is one of the least expensive cosmetic dentistry procedures in Eau Claire WI and is available to patients with tooth decay, chipped or cracked teeth and worn-down edges.
3. Dental Veneers: Typically manufactured from medical-grade ceramic, dental veneers are another form of cosmetic dentistry in Eau Claire WI and are made personally for each patient to resemble their natural teeth. They look remarkably realistic and can solve numerous cosmetic problems, ranging from crooked teeth to noticeable gaps between teeth. The veneer is applied to the front of each tooth using a dental adhesive.
4. Teeth Whitening: Over the years, teeth become stained and worn from food, drinks, medication and personal habits such as smoking. One of the most basic cosmetic dentistry procedures, teeth whitening can be performed at your dentist’s office. Whitening should be performed only after plaque, tartar and other debris are removed from the surface of each tooth, and the natural appearance has been restored. Teeth can also be bleached to achieve an even lighter shade than this original color.
5. Implants: Dental implants are used to replace teeth after tooth loss. A small titanium screw is inserted into the jaw at the site of the missing tooth and serves as the support for a crown. These implants are practically indistinguishable from the surrounding natural teeth, and once the bone and supporting tissue adhere to the implant, they are permanently secured into place. Patients need to practice thorough oral hygiene during the implant placement process to remove plaque and food debris from the area.
If you’re considering cosmetic dentistry in Eau Claire WI, it’s vital to find a cosmetic dentist who specifically offers the services you’re interested in. But don’t trust just anyone – call our office today to schedule a consultation with our experts and let’s discuss your options!